Questions for reading
Questions you could ask your child
Talking about the book with your child will help your child in their enjoyment and understanding of the book.
- Did you enjoy that book? Why? Why not?
- Who was your favourite character? Why?
- Which part did you like the best? Why?
- Was there any part you didn’t like? Why?
- Would you choose this book/story again? Which books are best?
- Books your child likes.
- Books suggested by your child’s teacher
- Books your child chooses from a library or bookshop that they want to read
- Never be afraid of re-reading books
My child is a good reader. Can I still help? YES!
Although children will often want to read in their heads when they become fluent readers and you should not insist on too much reading aloud, there are still many things that you can do. Discuss with them what they have read – about the character, about the plot, about the important parts of the story, about what they have learnt from the information, about their feelings as they read the story.